Friday, November 21, 2008


As some of you may know, the past month or so has been difficult for me in finding my role and remembering why it was I agreed to come to a strange country for two years. Well today I was reminded so I thought I should share my awesome Peace Corps day. This morning I had granola, coffee and yogurt for breakfast (ok, so far sounds pretty average). I then went to the health clinic where mothers were bringing in newborn babies for vaccinations and chatted with them about the weather, their health, breastfeeding and family planning. I came home and had some lunch then Ben and I along with a local man biked to another village about 7 km away to look into a possible latrine project there. On the way we stopped to hike up a big hill for a great view and to look at a bunch of fossils: we had to take a big amonite chunk back with us. As soon as we got off our backs at the town, I was greeted by a group of about 15 women who each had to greet my personally with kisses and all. The thing about Moroccan kisses is that there’s no real pattern sometimes it’s once on the left and once on the right, sometimes 2 and 1, you never really know. I’m starting to get the feel for when to switch sides but it never fails that I end up kissing someone on the mouth because I didn’t switch fast enough. Luckily, it’s overlooked and I’m probably the only one that feels awkward and man does it make me feel awkward! We were invited into about 6 or 7 houses, each one wanting to feed us and serve us tea. Luckily, after the first house, we could just say we were full already. After promising to return for future meals, we biked the 7 km back to our town (of course not without being chased by a few really scary dogs, that’s what those rabies shots were all about, right?) Don’t know what tomorrow will bring (well except washing clothes by hand in freezing cold water) but right now I’m feeling pretty good.

No comments: